The HTB Certified Penetration Testing Specialist (HTB CPTS) is a certification that evaluates an individual’s skills in the field of penetration testing.
Those who hold this certification have demonstrated their technical proficiency in the ethical hacking and penetration testing domains at an intermediate level.
They can identify security vulnerabilities and discover potential avenues for exploitation that may not be easily detectable by searching for known exploit methods or CVEs (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures).
Furthermore, they can think creatively and connect various vulnerabilities to demonstrate the maximum impact.
Additionally, they can provide actionable assistance to organizations by producing professional penetration testing reports that aid in remedying vulnerabilities.
The HTB Certified Penetration Testing Specialist (HTB CPTS) certification assesses candidates’ proficiency in various domains, including:
- Penetration Testing Processes and Methodologies: Candidates must demonstrate their understanding of the steps and methodologies involved in conducting penetration tests, such as planning, information gathering, and vulnerability exploration.
- Information Gathering And Reconnaissance Techniques: Candidates need to be familiar with techniques for gathering information about potential targets, including passive and active reconnaissance, open-source intelligence (OSINT) gathering, and network scanning.
- Attacking Windows and Linux Targets: Candidates should possess the skills and knowledge required to exploit vulnerabilities in both Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Active Directory Penetration Testing: This domain focuses on assessing a network’s Active Directory infrastructure for vulnerabilities and exploring potential attack vectors.
- Web Application Penetration Testing: Candidates must be proficient in identifying and exploiting vulnerabilities in web applications, such as Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), SQL injection, and authentication bypass.
- Manual and Automated Exploitation: Candidates need to demonstrate their ability to manually exploit vulnerabilities, as well as utilize automated tools to streamline the testing process.
- Vulnerability Assessment: This domain evaluates a candidate’s proficiency in identifying and classifying vulnerabilities within a network or system.
- Pivoting and Lateral Movement: Candidates should understand techniques for gaining access to other systems within a network after penetrating the initial target.
- Post-exploitation Enumeration: This domain focuses on discovering and extracting valuable information from compromised systems, such as user credentials or sensitive data.
- Windows and Linux Privilege Escalation: Candidates should possess the knowledge and skills required to escalate their privileges on Windows and Linux systems, gaining higher levels of access and control.
- Vulnerability/Risk Communication and Reporting: This domain evaluates a candidate’s ability to effectively communicate and report discovered vulnerabilities and risks to stakeholders clearly and concisely.
By assessing candidates’ knowledge in these domains, the HTB CPTS certification ensures that professionals have a comprehensive understanding of penetration testing methodologies and techniques, enabling them to identify and address vulnerabilities in various systems and networks effectively.
During this examination, the candidate will be required to conduct black box web, external, and internal penetration testing on a real-world Active Directory network. The network is hosted in HTB’s infrastructure and can be accessed through a VPN connection using either Pwnbox or the candidate’s local virtual machine.
Before beginning the examination process, the candidate will receive a letter of engagement which will clearly outline all the details, requirements, objectives, and scope of the examination. To perform the necessary penetration testing activities, the candidate will only need a stable internet connection and VPN software.
The HTB Certified Penetration Testing Specialist certification is the most current and relevant certification for professionals in the field of penetration testing. It encompasses both the technical aspects of penetration testing and the effective communication of findings.